Badger finally ran out of money and was evicted from Mother Yalantha's boarding house. He traveled to The Orphanage (sometimes called Naeris' Place) in search of shelter. Arona, an orphanage resident who knew Seebo, convinced Naeris to let Seebo stay at the monastery for a few days.
Later that night, a monk from The Monastery visited with his odd son "Sir" Quanzo. The pair brought bags of grain to donate to the orphanage. Their generosity however, did not stop Naeris from trying to rob thems. Quanzo Senior caught Naeris red-handed and demanded to know what was going on.
Naeris admitted his lack of funds, and that he was in debt to some wealthy folk from Lonesome. They were trying to use the debt to take the orphanage building. Your group of young adnveturers decided to band together and help Naeris raise funds (while also lining your own pockets, of course). Naeris put the oldest of the orphans – Bob – in charge and prepared for a journey.
You set forth for Lonesome, penniless and without much food. Seebo decided to 'convince' an old woman to give you vegetables for free (i.e. you robbed a poor old lady). Her husband and sons rode out to punish your group, but were easily chased off. The old man swore to tell the sheriff about your crime.
Once in Lonesome, you spent some time investigating employment opportunities, the following options arose:
- [[Kaylessa Irkell]], the landlord of The Swinging Sword thinks something shady is going on in Lonesome and is related to a sinister presence at Lance Rock. She offered you gold to investigate it. You also rented lodgings at the inn.
- (see below) Albaeri Mellikho offered you gold to take out a group of bandits to the south, who are raiding her caravans.
After that, you paid visits to Naeris' various creditors to ask them for leniency. In general, you discovered Naeris can buy the orphanage out of trouble with 250 gold pieces. However, you must separately pay 125 each to Elak Dornen and Albaeri Mellikho otherwise there is no deal. Two encounters with those folk went like so:
- Elak Dornen: refused to help you out in any way. You saw him writing a letter in a strange language.
- Albaeri Mellikho: decided to waive her half of Naeris' debt if you head south to eliminate a group of bandits interfering with her business.
In the morning, you were woken to a ruckus in the street, and watched a huge red-bearded man (Bruxus) beat a youth to death as part of a 'duel' in the street. What happened next gets rather confusing. Some rumors suggest your entire party was drunk and egging Naeris on. Others whisper that Naeris has a faery or demon in his head. Whatever the reason, Naeris infuriated the sheriff by stealing his hat. He then infuriated the obnoxious Bruxus, who captured Naeris and tied him up in the basement of Gaelkur's barber shop and general store.
Arona met with a contact named Furi and gained some information about Bruxus:
- For the last 18 months he and his associates adventure outside of town, largely searching for treasure in ruins. They return to Lonesome to sell it and spend it, because returning to the wilderness once more.
- His associates are called Nellatie (elven archer) and Galum (wizard).
- The trio eat and drink at the Hagfish each morning, and retire to Gaelkur's for the afternoon. They are always associated with acts of random, drunken violence.
The rest of you tracked Naeris down and managed to convince Marlandro Gaelkur to let him go while Bruxus was drinking at The Hagfish. You dragged the nearly dead half-elf back to The Swinging Sword and started to plot against the big red-bearded bastard who kidnapped him …